Dublin Students Attend International IEEE Symposium

A note from Brian Hall in Dublin:
Many of you know I am in Dublin this week at a conference and I wanted to update ITS and highlight our student involvement in the conference.
The high-profile conference is the IEEE International Symposium on Technology and Society (ISTAS 2015, http://www.istas2015.org ), sponsored primarily by the IEEE Society on Social Implications of Technology. The primary reason for my attending is that I had a paper and presentation accepted entitled “A Snapshot of the Subject Matter of Computing Ethics” (paper available on my website).  We also have ITS students studying abroad this semester who are enrolled in CSI 320 Global IT and Ethics (CSI and CDF).
Through requests made by myself and Dr. Stephen Robinson, and the work of Lilly Johnsson of the Dublin campus, we were able to procure mostly free attendance for five of our students.  On short notice, two of the students were asked and accepted the opportunity to volunteer in assisting the conference organizers with conference tasks.
Not only did the students get to hear talks (including mine) related to Science, Technology, and Society that are directly applicable to their course and majors, but we also had the opportunity to hear the President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins, give the opening address!  The conference organizers also had nothing but praise for the punctuality, professionalism, and helpfulness of our student volunteers. This is a great reflection on the College and increases our positive exposure as a community.
I wanted to thank those involved, particularly Lilly who has been especially helpful this week.  It is great that Champlain has supported me and the students’ attendance.  I am also very proud of our
students for attending and volunteering.  A good experience all around.

BrianDublin

From left to right: front – Joseph Gallahan (CSI), back – Brenden Adamczak (CSI), Michael Albrecht (CDF, volunteer), Dr. Brian Hall (ITS), Alex Apmann (CSI, volunteer), Tyler Van Ollefen (CSI)